1. Who is responsible for managing my information?
This EGWA website is owned and maintained by Smith & Nephew ("we" or "us").
We ensure that appropriate technical and contractual measures are in place to provide security of your personal data, guard against unauthorised or unlawful processing of such data and guard against accidental loss, destruction, disclosure of, or damage to it.
2. What information do we collect?
On the EGWA website, we may collect the following information about you:
- name, organisation, job title and contact information including your email address;
- demographic information such as your postcode, preferences and interests;
- your IP address (being a series of numbers identifying your internet connection) and domain server; and
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers.
In relation to registration for and fulfillment of our courses and services, we may collect the following information:
- your learning history;
- your preferences for the courses;
- your dietary information, if attending seminars and events; and
- other relevant background information.
Some of this information is "sensitive personal data", as defined in the Laws, and we will process this data only when you choose to provide it to us.
We also collect certain anonymous data which does not personally identify you, including the type of your computer and the type of your web browser (collectively “Traffic Data”).
3. What do we do with the information we gather?
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, for example:
- from our website we collect and use information:
- to undertake service and product improvement (including Traffic Data);
- to provide updates regarding the EGWA service;
- in accordance with section 10 below, to send promotional communications about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting;
- enable your organisation to administer your user account in accordance with clause 27 of the user terms;
- and generally:
- to provide the services you have requested from us;
- to improve our customer experience and monitor customer interactions through customer relationship management systems;
- to provide seminars, events and briefings from time to time; and
- for research purposes, use of anonymised data and Traffic Data (for example to undertake comparison analysis as to the effectiveness of our services).
We may make chat rooms, forums, message boards, and news groups available to you through EGWA. Please understand that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information. We have no control over its use and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
4. Who may you share my information with?
- outsource certain services to our service providers, including payment services, in accordance with section 5;
- provide your email address and/or other identifying information to your organisation to facilitate log-in to inter-related services provided by or on behalf of your organisation, and to enable your organisation to administer your user account in accordance with clause 27 of the user terms; and
- disclose information about you as required by law, to enforce this Agreement and to preserve our rights.
5. How do you manage my information?
We may from time to time appoint other branches of our group, or third party service providers, to help us manage efficient systems within our business. The EGWA is managed from the United States and as such your information will be processed in the United States if you use this service, and from time to time other systems may for operational reasons be located in countries overseas. We will only transfer your information to service providers who help manage our systems, or overseas, where we are satisfied that adequate levels of protection are in place to protect the integrity and security of any information being processed and compliance with applicable privacy laws.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. For example:
- We limit employee access to client information to those who have a business reason to know this information.
- We maintain policies and procedures covering the physical security of workplaces and records.
- We use technological means (such as backup files, virus detection software, encryption, firewalls, and Secured Socket Layer technology) to protect against unauthorised access or alterations to client data.
8. How long will you hold my information for?
We have a system of retention periods in place to ensure that your information is only stored whilst it is required for the relevant purposes or to meet legal requirements. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner. Where you request that you receive no further marketing communications from us, Smith & Nephew will retain your details on a "suppression list" to ensure that no marketing communications are sent.
9. What about links from your website?
As stated in our User Agreement, we may link to third party sites but we are not responsible for these. Please check the privacy policies / user terms for those websites when you visit them.
10. What marketing information might I receive from you?
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We would like to send you offers and promotions which we believe will be of interest to you by email, by phone and/or by post.
If you prefer not to receive promotional information from us, you may opt out of receiving our promotional communications by following the instructions below or visiting your Manage my Account Page.
To opt out, please let us know by emailing us. Please be sure to include your full name and the email address in the same format you used when you registered with us. If you ask us to remove your name and email address from our promotional lists, we will maintain your contact details in our “do not contact” list to ensure that we can honour your request. Note that it may take up to 4 weeks to process your opt out request during which time you may continue to receive communications from us.
11. How can I obtain the personal data you have about me, and can I correct it?
You can update your account details at Manage my account.
You may request details of all personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to us at the address below or email. We want to make sure that the information we hold is accurate and up-to-date. You may ask us to correct or remove information that you think is inaccurate.
We may change this policy from time to time in accordance with the terms of the User Agreement.
Contact: Smith & Nephew Privacy Officer
Postal: 15 Adam St, London, United Kingdom, WC2N 6LA